VIENNA, 2 April (UN Information Service) - On this World Autism Awareness Day, let us all play a part in changing attitudes toward persons with autism and in recognizing their rights as citizens, who, like everyone else, are entitled to claim those rights and make decisions for their lives in accordance with their own will and preferences. Let us also renew our promise, engraved in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, to leave no one behind and ensure that all people can contribute as active members to peaceful and prosperous societies.
In the run-up to the special session of the General Assembly on the world drug problem to be held in April 2016, the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), in its 2015 Annual Report:
• Recalls that the ultimate goal of the drug control treaties is to ensure the health and welfare of mankind.
• Cites a balanced and humane approach as key to meeting health and welfare aims.
• Encourages Governments to devise practical and realistic measures to protect the public from the harms posed by the increasingly large number of new psychoactive substances.
• Calls on Governments to ensure health-care providers do not overprescribe sedatives, particularly among elderly people.
• Calls for a realistic assessment of the state of the international precursor control system.
VIENNA, 13 February (UN Information Service) – In times of crisis and emergency, radio can be a lifeline.
For people in shattered societies, or caught in catastrophe, or desperately seeking news, radio brings lifesaving information.
VIENNA, 10 December (UN Information Service) - Amid large-scale atrocities and widespread abuses across the world, Human Rights Day should rally more concerted global action to promote the timeless principles that we have collectively pledged to uphold.
VIENNA, 21 September (UN Information Service) – This year’s International Day of Peace comes at a time of deadly violence and destabilizing conflicts around the world. Rather than succumbing to despair, we have a collective responsibility to demand an end to the brutality and impunity that prevail.